permaculture - Re: [permaculture] changes at seed saver's exchange

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] changes at seed saver's exchange
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:18:11 EST

This is a sad, ugly mess. And one that seems to be happening more and more
now, as naive and unprotected individuals try to keep to the high road, while
ignoring the artful termites that bore beneath them.

The trouble is that overwhelmingly, people directly involved in such sordid
affairs elect to keep mum-- largely for fear of legal retaliation. Here's an
example of the kind of scuttlebutt we're hearing:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0119190329556.html?7

Here also, for our edification, is the new reformulated SSE's officially
worded response:

http://seedsavers.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~108.asp

I don't know about you, but I find this kind of "clarification" to be sadly
and terribly inadequate. And I find the winners in this affair to be the
kinds
of creatures that flourish in the dark.

Be all that as it may, what we have appears to be an abrupt rupture in
continuity, and a profound deviation from the original mission of the
Exchange-- in
fact, its legal reformulation.

This is purely an outsider's view, and I am not privy to any of the
proceedings. Nor do I know any of the players. I'm just going from
appearances and
offering my uninformed opinion. But it looks to me as though anyone who
contributed either money or sweat equity into the maintenance of the Seed
Savers'
Exchange over the years since it's founding have just seen their equity
stolen by
people who've apparently come from nowhere-- and who are ready to sue anyone
who
objects to their primacy.

Welcome to the modern world. I feel like some kind of heirloom.

Michael