permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Similarities between the Jesus Movement at itsorigin and the

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Vital Scherrer" <vital233@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Similarities between the Jesus Movement at itsorigin and the
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:52:11 +0000

Greg,

If you don't mind me adding my perception. Actually there are not the fantasies in the first place, but the sex drive, or more scientifically, the natural appetence for the conservation of the species, which gives rise to the fantasies.

But there is more to sex and body contact than these fantasies and sex drive, and their satisfaction. For example, scientific studies showed that physical intimacy plays a crucial part in the healthy development of a child, particularly for its self-esteem, and this goes to some extent for adults as well.

"There are proven health benefits by reducing stress, and the cholesterol level, improving blood circulation and it works as a pain reliever. With sex, oxytoxins are secreted and this in turn releases endorphins...sexual excitement promotes DHEA hormones. This hormone is a strong chemical in the body that balances your immune system, helps keep your skin healthy, helps promote the growth of your bones and helps in maintaining and repairing the tissues in your body. Sex is also known to contribute to your cardiovascular health and act as an antidepressant."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3692731.stm

But this is obviously a very individual thing, as not all people are alike. If living sexually abstinent works for you, then I hope that's fine.

In respect of control of sex lives and population, the animal world, as a whole, is probably hard to beat, because, unless somebody interferes, it works fine.
But there are other, environmentally friendly ways too to control our population, besides the sexual abstinence.

Vital