permaculture - Re: [permaculture] N-starvation and mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] N-starvation and mulch
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:42:05 -0700

Movement of N upward seems to require an organism that gets its N in the soil, takes it upward into the mulch,
I was imagining a wet soil, with the soil solution nearing field capacity, and N migrating upwards through diffusion, as carbon chewing bacteria grab everything mobile out of the soil solution. Kind of a longshot though... I expect that under most conditions chaos would get the upper hand. Maybe if you mulched spinish seedlings with woody stuff in spring and N hadn't been tended to by other means.

Second could be bioturbation... worms or other thingies pulling woody material down into the soil creating local low N spots?

fun to think about... OK enough of this... :)
Paul Cereghino