permaculture - Re: [permaculture] N-starvation and mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] N-starvation and mulch
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:45:10 +1000

Fresh sawdust can have a C/N ratio of up to 500:1 this reduces with aging
and composting.

While sawdust can be an excellent mulch, it's important to realise it can
impact on N balance and plant uptake--to be forewarned is to be forearmed--
monitor the plants and act promptly if there's symptoms of N deficiency, or
take proactive measures such as partial pre-composting, adding compost
before the mulch (buffer effect) or apply diluted urine, liquid cook manure
or other suitable N source.

Apparently the high lignin content (27%) in sawdust also has a high N demand
to break down.

Research has found fresh sawdust mulch can result in N-deficiency in crops,
though not as severely as when incorporated into the soil.

Robyn