permaculture - Re: [permaculture] N-starvation and mulch

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] N-starvation and mulch
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 09:42:52 +1000

Mulches with a hard cellulose structure such as sawdust, wood chips,
eucalyptus leaves and pine needles have high N demands to break down. Some N
will be drawn from air but can also use up N from the top soil layer. Hence
these kind of mulches are best used when partially broken down rather than
fresh - adding a nitrogen-rich liquid (e.g. Urine) to stockpile heaps prior
to mulching can alleviate this problem.
This is not a problem with fine carbon mulches like straw and hay.
Ciao
Robyn