permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Very few worms in acid soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: chauncey williams <chaunceyfree@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Very few worms in acid soil
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

Just my thought but maybe sometimes you just can;t change what nature intends
to keep. Maybe you should work with what you got instead of against it.
Plant blueberries and other acid loving plants and for your veggies maybe
think about a raised bed and bring in compost to fill it.

I have a garden in Vermont where the soil is super acidic, but I didn't try
and change it. I built a raised bed, added heaps of organic material, and
now I have good looking veggies growing right next to the healthiest
blueberries I have ever seen.

Hope this helps
Sean

Vital Scherrer <vital233@hotmail.com> wrote: Hello,

The soil of my plot has a pH of about 4.1 and is poor. I hardly ever find
any earthworms in the soil and very few in the mulch. I have been mulching
for about 10 years with the prunings of the acacias, which grow between the
fruit trees. As it may have a positive effect on suppressing weeds and
preserving soil moisture, it does seem to have very little effect, if at
all, on the soil fertility. I did apply the - from the agricultural
laboratory (based on a soil analysis) - recommended amounts of soil
correctives, like calcified seaweed and other plant or rock based mineral
supplements.
Can anyone tell me what else I can do to improve the soil and to possibly
get earthworms, which penetrate, aerate and fertilize the soil?

Kind regards

Vital