permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Very few worms in acid soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Melinda Briana Epler" <permaculture@elementsintime.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Very few worms in acid soil
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:09:08 -0700

We just recently started our garden, and our soil was totally depleted
- dead. Nothing would grow. The people before us had used too many
chemicals and bad gardening practices. So we brought in mushroom
compost and worms, just to start the ball rolling. We figured we
would do it once, and then nurture our soil so that we never have to
do it again.

We found worms at wormman.com (they have a garden mix of red worms and
earthworms). I'm sure there are worm farms in your neck of the woods
as well. The mushroom compost came from a local landscape supply.
The mushrooms were grown using organic chicken manure, so we had the
benefit of that in the mix as well.

Good luck!

--
Melinda Briana Epler