permaculture - [permaculture] A Question about investments

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] A Question about investments
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:40:12 +0000

Someone (sorry if I did not get your name) wrote:
2. If you can afford to buy land, why not buy land? Start an orchard.
Plant a garden. Get off the grid.

If you buy land don't do it for speculative reasons. Instead buy it in order to take it off the speculative market. Many people in Trinidad buy land and do nothing with it except wait for the price to go up, then to sell. Sometimes they "develop" it by buldozing and filling, and then sell it for much more. Much land is tied up by these speculators that could be used more beneficially.
I am trying to save a 1 acre plot of land that I bought from "development". I'm trying hard to reduce the impact of bush fires (not very successful so far), and keep some of the native trees on it. Last week a developer doing buldozing on an adjacent plot blocked up the flow of water that naturally drains my land, creating a small lake and flooding part of my land. I'm not going to complain about it. The extra water storage may be useful for me. I am thinking of growing water lettuce (or water cabbage) that I can use for mulching. Maybe I can try making chinampas like the pictures I saw posted recently.

Charles
T&T