permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin s <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:33:37 -0400

well,

i appreciate scott, and toby, and others who have been involved in PC for much longer than i have who took the time for the thoughtful replies to this question

here is an effort to 'reflect back' what i 'heard' from folks:

People feel there may be a need for a national US organization, but:

1) have been hurt and frustrated by efforts in the past that didn't come together, and are still too traumatized by that to try again

2) don't believe in or trust that permaculturalists working together in an egalitarian membership run organization will ever work because there is too big a divide between the woo-woo's and the would be professionals etc

3) people have a general hostility to "democratic" organization methods in general...? and then use the corrupt example of US plutocratic/corporate/media/military run political system as justification for this. (i am honestly having some real trouble with this one)

4) and other mostly negative comments about the the belief that control freaks and others who do not have adequate bowel function will somehow subvert the organization....etc

well, again all i can say is i appreciate the information. it is helping my process of observation

it appears that Permaculturalists, at least those on this listserve, have consistently low expectations on the behavior of their colleagues

for myself, i am not so cynical, or lacking in trust of my fellow travellers good intentions that i am going to withdraw from efforts to be part of building the kind of horizontal, community based and controlled organizations that i believe are as essential to our success and survival as any other designs we are undertaking

in my observation in fact 'invisible structures' like this are working all over the world, in all types of societies and are the strongest structures of resistance to the death culture that we have. surely others can open their eyes to what is happening and observe this?

i deeply believe that the invisible structures that most fully embody the principles of openness, transparency, egalitarianism, democracy, etc are the ones that will have the resiliency, adaptability, and sustainability that we are all talking about and claim to desire, and nothing in my 40+ yrs of experience has shown me anything different.

and i am perfectly happy being in an organization like that where i do NOT control the outcome of events, but am only a part of shaping those outcomes. this feels much more sustainable to me, and our own efforts at designing a CLT, and putting our CSA into a non-profit structure here fully embrace that, and i could very well be 'out of a job' if i do my job well, and the membership of both organizations take on the cooperative leadership responsibilities that the structures require

i understand that the relationships that are required to make these types of organizations succeed also bring some pain and conflict occasionally, but so what? why be afraid of that?

sincerely,
kevin