permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:39:44 -0500

kevin s wrote:
it appears that Permaculturalists, at least those on this listserve, have consistently low expectations on the behavior of their colleagues

for myself, i am not so cynical, or lacking in trust of my fellow travellers good intentions that i am going to withdraw from efforts to be part of building the kind of horizontal, community based and controlled organizations that i believe are as essential to our success and survival as any other designs we are undertaking
Perhaps a different view. Using more facets and less sides.
Stating a concern one can see from their vantage point strengthens the ability of the group, to all see the same decision and its implications, to decide together. A concern of "negative" implication is not saying don't continue. It is merely saying "I see a potentially contrary reaction in this plan."
The trust in the group, is to be brave enough to be the only one who sees it and speak your truth without fear of personal isolation.

In Formal Consensus, decisions are broken down and one does not go into solutions before one understands the question so you don't need to take time debating solutions that may not fit anyway.
In proactive consensus groups, a concern that would cause an idea to stop needs to be accompanied by a suggested adjustment of the action to better address the situation including that negative.
I have not experienced low expectations here.

Peace,
Kathyann