permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "permaculture@apollobay.org.au" <permaculture@apollobay.org.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:09:51 -0400

Having just joined this listserv, it's opening my eyes to the reflective
nature of what's happening globally at national levels within the
permaculture movement. It's opened me to realise how focussed & stuck we
can become at a national level.

Currently Australia does not have a true national permaculture body. This
is going to be a major discussion at the upcoming APC9 (the 9th
Australasian Permaculture Convergence). Currently we have Permaculture
International (PIL), which aim and mission was set up to spread
permaculture internationally. Now, the permaculture movement in Australia,
is recognising that we don't have a national identity. PIL has become our
national body, due to the fact that only Australians can be directors on
PIL's board, due to the Australian (ASIC) laws regarding registered
not-for-profit companies (of which legal structure PIL is under), it has
also become more nationally focused because of the nationally government
recognised APT training that has been developed. PDC still run, and are an
important grounding in the basics of permaculture. They are recognised as
prior learning under the accredited permaculture training structure, and it
is not necessary to go through Bill/ Tagari.

Tagari is Bill's business, PRI (Permaculture Research Institute) is Geoff
Lawton's business, like HDS (Holmgren's Design Services) is David
Holmgren's business.
And it sounds like in the US, the "Permaculture Institute" is Scott
Pitman's business, like "Southern Cross Permaculture Institute" is Naomi &
Rick Coleman's business, and "Sustainable Culture Network" is my business.
And there's nothing wrong with running your own business! But do look at
businesses and their nature... they all say they're the best, they have the
best product, the best service etc.
As long as we cooperate with other instead of competing, that we truely
observe, receive feedback and evaluate our practises. That we don't place
hierarchies and lineages, and claim status in this way, although still pay
respects for the work of others. All this hierarchy/ lineage stuff makes
permaculture sound like a cult!

Permaculture is a profession,and as a profession it is best to have a
representative body. This is what the organisation Permaculture
International has been working toward.
You can visit the website: www.permacultureinternational.org
to have a look.

Cheers!