permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ants & how to make them go away

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ants & how to make them go away
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 10:56:51 -0700

This is entirely speculation, and might be more costly than someone would
want, but I battle ants all the time (indoors) just since I live in a
tropical area and they seem to detest any essential oils. I've used lavender
& peppermint mainly. (Note: except if they're army ants, like the freaky
masses in Costa Rica - I experimented with lavender oil and it seemed to
excited them further! Not what I'd meant to do.) I was wondering if a
low-concentration spray, or something that could infuse their nests would
make them leave?

The effect of the essential oil seems to last for quite a while - but not
more than a day. They do seem to go hate it though, and if its 'in' their
nest, perhaps it would be disruptive enough that they'd move?

A better option perhaps: I heard a guy on a radio show say that ants don't
like to cross any very, very fine powder, like talc, because it blocks their
breathing apparatus (the holes in their bodies). You could try any number of
inventive things with talc to see what that accomplished (again, I'm afraid I
don' t know if this is costly).

Good luck!

Jody Troupe