permaculture - [permaculture] defining permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] defining permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:31:22 +0000

<<<<is permaculture/food forest adverse to cutting trees at all, or is it
permissable to clear some for letting sunlight reach crops, or just what exactly
does the principles of "food forestry" consider to be permaculture? I live in a
very forested area and I have been clearing small plots and building gardens. >>>>

I once read the transcipt of an interview with Bill Mollison where he said that after he came up with the idea of permaculture he never had to cut down a tree. Amazing - not having to cut down any trees. I spent a few hours with some local permaculturists a few months ago helping one of them make a fire-break/terrace on a contour, and we certainly cut down a lot of small trees. I felt a little guilty about this when I got home.

Charles.