permaculture - Re: [permaculture] defining permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul wheaton" <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] defining permaculture
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:36:01 -0700

It seems that everybody has a different definition.

When I'm asked what permaculture is, I relate the story of how the
sahara was once jungle and savannah. Folks learned about agriculture
and started cutting down trees to plant their crops. After a few
years, the soil would be awful and they would cut down a new batch of
trees. Then the climate changed. There is debate over whether the
cutting of the trees caused the climate change.

Then there is a natural desert in australia. Trees are planted and
babied for a few years. Then left on their own. The area is growing
larger by itself - no further human input. And ... some speculate ...
that the climate is starting to become wetter.

So I've been repeating this for a long time. So long that I cannot
remember where I heard the second part. The first part I think is
well known. Can anyone help me with sourcing the second part?

And - yeah, permaculture is much more than this, but this is the core
of it for me: healing the earth.