permaculture - [permaculture] greenschooling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jenny Katz <jennykatz@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] greenschooling
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 00:10:18 -0400

Hi all--

I've been playing around with something I'm calling "greenschooling"-- education in the permacultural mold, which is to say: environmentally based, but taking nature as structure and model rather than just as subject matter. Greenschooling, in other words, is education that grows the awareness of learning (and living) in relationship. All knowledge, of course, as I don't need to tell you permies, exists in relationship; the patterns of "knowledge" and "truth," like the patterns of "tree" or "zone one," emerge as a relationship between knower and known, between self and environment, between fact and context.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with these ideas. I'd be homeschooling, but my ex-husband says no, so I'm trying to see the gift in that and develop something greater--a solution that benefits not only my own two kids (ages 6 and 10) but also helps other families, too. I'm interested in developing a series of simple techniques (awareness techniques, maybe) that anyone, of any age, could implement at any time to increase his or her understanding of these patterns, these relationships. I don't want to create a new curriculum; instead, I want to shape a lens for understanding the indivisible classroom--the curriculum that the world is presenting us at all times. It's easy to see and feel the connections when we're in the garden or in the woods; harder to do so during math class or the dentist appointment. But they're no less valid, and no less present, in math class. I want to try and figure out some ways to make this clear.

I'm gonna get a website up soon, either at greenschooling.com or at indivisibleclassroom.com. If anyone has any suggestions of great resources or great people, I'd love to hear...

yours,
Jenny in Connecticut