permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Water-Contamination, Soil-Contamination, Law-strategies -Remedial actions-US.TX, US.NC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kenneth Benway" <ken@arcadiandesign.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Water-Contamination, Soil-Contamination, Law-strategies -Remedial actions-US.TX, US.NC
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:39:29 -0400

Lawrence,
The camp Lejeune situation as well as the tragedy in Texas that Tommy
has
articulated is of grave concern to me. What makes the Camp Lejeune
situation unique from a legal stand point is that the violator of the
communities liberties is the Federal Government rather that private
corporations as in Texas. Actually the Federal Government is technically
a corporation under the UCC (Uniform Commercial Code) and so are the
corporations.
What is essentially the same in both situations however, is the
violation of the community's property rights and personal freedom. From
the standpoint of law I don't know the best way to hold the responsible
parties accountable for their negligence. At the very least in both
cases the first step must be to halt whatever practices have contributed
to the situation and creating a supply of uncontaminated water. Due to
the wide spread nature of the contamination of both ground and surface
water (not to mention the soil) perhaps rain catchment and distribution
systems would be the most sustainable and cost effective way to address
the long term demand. Continuing to haul water into the area from
outside sources is going to get expensive if it continues indefinitely.
Whole house carbon filters coupled with Reverse Osmosis and Deionization
for drinking and cooking water could also help using the existing water
supply. With regard to contaminants in the soil perhaps some sort of
phytoremediation may alleviate the toxic soil conditions to some degree.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how?

On one final note, one of the obstacles that have faced litigation
efforts in cases like this is that corporate (fictitious) entities are
treated as persons under the law, this notion in my view is insane. If
you've watched the documentary "The Corporation" one of the final
conclusions reached is that we need a constitutional amendment
abolishing these corporate rights, then we can really start making some
headway with these polluting bastards!

Ken Benway
Arcadian Design
St Petersburg Fl