permaculture - Re: [permaculture] starting some fruit trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] starting some fruit trees
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:21:39 -0700

should I go ahead and give this a try? Should I start with one tree?

by all means give things a try. :)

both apples and pears bear better when cross polinated by a cultivar with a similar flowering time so two apples of a different variety makes sense. Sometimes you can get trees with multiple varieties grafted on.. but this can be fussy down the road -- I prefer just one variety per stem for someone who is just getting started with it all. Contact your local land grant college agricultural extension office for cross-pollination. Under marginal conditions... i'd really key in on disease resistant varieties (depending on your local diseases.)

You might consider also investing in small fruit, depending on your site... my impression is that cane fruit and blueberry relatives can do well in half sun if well matched to soil environment.

Identify your location and you'll get better advice or even better... local advice.

Paul Cereghino