permaculture - Re: [permaculture] starting some fruit trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] starting some fruit trees
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:26:14 -0400

I have a dwarf apple that produces reasonable crops under the conditions you
are describing, but not as much as similar trees in the sun.  More to the
point, is how good the trees are.  I don't know much about Rural King, but
many large chain stores sell junky trees that are not on root stocks
appropriate to the soils and other conditions of the local area. You might
pay a bit more, but consider finding a smaller ethical nursery that has
premium quality trees that are appropriate for your area.  Also look for
small dedicated wholesale nurseries that grow interesting heritage cultivars
and find out who they retail through.