permaculture - Re: [permaculture] starting some fruit trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] starting some fruit trees
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:46:47 -0500

On Jun 11, 2007, at 5:26 PM, lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:

I have a dwarf apple that produces reasonable crops under the conditions you are describing, but not as much as similar trees in the sun.  More to the point, is how good the trees are.  I don't know much about Rural King, but many large chain stores sell junky trees that are not on root stocks appropriate to the soils and other conditions of the local area. You might pay a bit more, but consider finding a smaller ethical nursery that has premium quality trees that are appropriate for your area.  Also look for small dedicated wholesale nurseries that grow interesting heritage cultivars and find out who they retail through.

Maybe I should be less impulsive do some more observing, planing and searching. Not to mention that the ground is awful hard in the back yard right now!!

Paul