permaculture - Re: [permaculture] spindle cut orchards

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] spindle cut orchards
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 04:10:40 -0400

Linda Shewan wrote:

Lots of permaculture designs that I have seen include espaliers and
variations and all the permaculture reading I have done advocates
pruning which just doesn't sit right with me.

Stark Brothers will tell you that growing fruit trees singly with full open
branching
to take advantage of light and air circulation (for disease prevention) is
the best way.

I have heard a lot about growing them espaliered on heavy wires stretched
between posts along rows.
in open fields with plenty of light and air circulation. I have talked with
fruit growers in the NC
mountains who do this - 10' T posts and high tensile wire. I see nothing
wrong with this growing method.

Ask people in the NAFEX mailing list for the definitive answer.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm