permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Organic no-till for dry-land farming?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Organic no-till for dry-land farming?
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 04:20:28 -0400

mossmans wrote:

Can I ask you to put www.scytheconnection.com onto the list of suppliers of
Scythes please.

I will do this asap.

I have been corresponding with Peter Vido, and am impressed by the passion
for the use of this tool, helpfulness of the site and the time he and his
family have given me with the questions I have. And that is from Australia
as well, where there are no suppliers - and they are helping us get a
shipment to get us started here.

Fantastic!

I know Peter and Kai well, through phone calls and email. I have bought no
less than
50 scythe blades, several snaths and accessories from them over the past two
years.
I have considerable interest in scythe use around the world and in exploring
new and traditional uses
for them in market farming and permaculture, and mowing small lawns :-)

I plan to manufacture small gardening hand tools to sell mail order. I use
recycled circular saw blades
and various tool and high carbon steels. If anyone has designs they would like to see prototyped or manufactured please let me know.

The role of hand tools in permaculture has not been well explored, and I
hope we can put some more emphasis on this given peak oil and other
considerations so we tread lightly on our wonderful planet.

You can do a lot of farming and greenspace maintenance with hand tools alone. Better that we forget the powered equipment and get back to basics, doing it by hand.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm