permaculture - Re: [permaculture] spindle cut orchards

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] spindle cut orchards
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:53:37 -0400

Seems to me this is about balance.  Prune when there is a valid reason to
prune and don't prune when there is no reason.  Learn your trees and see what
makes them prosper.  I failed to prune a particular plum tree for several
years and production of plums declined precipitiously for that tree.  I
wasn't doing my duty as a member of the plum guild and was punished with by
not getting plums. As soon as begin some light pruning, the tree started
producing again.  I know that California Indigenous people were tip pruning
oaks for maximum acorn production for a long time.