permaculture - Re: [permaculture] grass in orchards

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul wheaton" <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] grass in orchards
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:49:28 -0700

Thanks guys. Some good info.

Here is my dilemma: I keep meeting people that have fruit trees and
are hearing the word "permaculture" for the first time. Some of them
are still spraying a variety of pesticides or using "weed and feed".
I have 60 seconds to talk them out of it - or to perhaps convince them
to use less. If I'm convincing enough in 60 seconds, I might be able
to get ten minutes. Maybe even get some seeds into their hands to
make a difference.

So, I realize that this is a terribly challenging question, but if we
can put our heads together, we might be able to come up with something
that we can all use to lower the toxicity on the planet.

So I'm exploring the idea of a path where I can suggest that if they
are equiped with two small packets of seeds, which I will give to them
for free, they can toss packet 1 down, and it will smother the grass
and then step aside. They can then toss down packet 2 which will be a
fruit tree guild (not a great guild, but a big step up from grass).

Granted, there are lots of other approaches one could take. I'm just
fishing for something that will do the trick in this scenario.

I can think of lots of stuff to go into packet 2. I'm a little shaky
about packet 1. And that is where I could use some help from those
of you that have a lot more experience than me.

My first stab is hairy vetch tossed out in mid fall. Will it
germinate and grow if it is simply broadcast on grass? What does it
do come June 1? Does it die, loaded to the gills with seeds? Should
it be mowed a couple of weeks before planting packet 2?

Field peas can be really cheap. Tossing a bunch of those down in
early spring should take and they will die around the end of june ....
not a great time for broadcasting seed ...

What about australian winter peas? Anybody have experience with them?