permaculture - [permaculture] grass in orchards

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] grass in orchards
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:51:26 +0000

Rich Blaha wrote <<<<<<<<<<<<<<In the meantime, a couple of
rounds with the string trimmer per year keeps the fire danger down...I'm
not too worried about the cosmetics of it.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm thinking of buying one of these string trimmers myself to help reduce risk of fire. We had a prolonged dry season this year. I had extensive fire damage on my property. Most of the people in our permaculture group had fire damage to their property as well. I am going to try many strategies to reduce fire risk (including velvet beans to try to smother the grass) but maybe the strimmer will help as well. I'd really like to get a scythe but I'm not keen right now to go through the problems of importing stuff.

Charles
Trinidad

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/