permaculture - Re: [permaculture] velvet bean (Mucuna p(r)uriens)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ossi kakko <ossi@kulma.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] velvet bean (Mucuna p(r)uriens)
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:33:54 +0300

Hi,

"The Book of TEMPEH - A Super Soyfood from Indonesia"
by William Shurtleff & Akiko Aoyagi, at least in it's
professional edition says that Velvet bean can be grown
on poor soils without irrigation. However, that's about
javanese climate. The book also says that during the
70's it was main crop after soybean for tempeh preparation.
The plants were growing wild or semidomesticated. Toxins
were removed by keeping the boiled and peeled beans in
flowing water for 22 hours before steaming, chopping and
inoculation.

I have no experience, as velvet bean cannot be grown here.

Sincerely,

Ossi Kakko
Fennoscandia

ps.

This says that vine is also widely grown in India:
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/CropFactSheets/mucuna.html