permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bees and wasps

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Rich Blaha" <rich@mossbackfarm.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: mmaggior@mindspring.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bees and wasps
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:46:07 -0800

Hi Michelle

I'm still pretty new to the beekeeping game, but it sounds like a weak hive
did get overrun by wasps, yellowjackets, or hornets. I posted some links on
this phenomenon a while back, including some pretty amazing video
http://www.mossbackfarm.com/archive/000187.html

Cheers

Rich
Mossback Farm
Yamhill, OR
www.mossbackfarm.com/journal

> 1. Bees and bee books (Michelle Maggiore)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:37:57 -0400
> From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
> Subject: [permaculture] Bees and bee books
> To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> I have kept bees off and on in the past several years, and we had
> something strange happen a couple weeks ago with a newly installed hive- we
> found the queen on the ground after what looked like a light swarming
> movement (with no cluster of bees anywhere in sight, like a normal swarm).
> When we opened the hive later that day, there were no bees in there
> ANYWHERE, except for an inch-thick layer of dead bees.Not only were they
> dead, but every last one was also decapitated. I couldn't find reference to
> this in the few bee books I have, but searching the web, I came across the
> site of someone that mentioned decapitated bees are the work of
> carnivorous wasps. It was quite disheartening. I know this was a pretty
> rare situation (I hope) and not CCD, but I am curious if anyone else has
> had this happen? The hive next to it is fine, and strong.
>
> Is anyone using top bar hives on this list in the Southeast (U.S.)? It
> sounds intriguing.
>
> Aditionally, I would like to recommend "A Book of Bees" by Sue Hubbell. It
> is a yearly journal so its good for referencing what you should be thinking
> of doing, and when I first read it, my impression was that this woman just
> has the best job in the world and loves it! Very inspiring and relaxing to
> read, and accessible for all levels of beekeeping.
>
> One positive side effect of this CCD problem.....I did a beekeeping
> presentation for some 4H kids a few weeks ago, and they were all very
> concerned and expressed great interest in learning to keep bees, because
> of it. I only wished we would have scheduled the presentation for earlier
> in the year, when they still could have ordered package bees, but theres
> always swarms and nucs, I suppose.
>
> Have fun! Michelle in Virginia
> SUSTAINABLE SCOTTSVILLE
> Creating sustainable options right here at home:
> www.sustainablescottsville.com

  • Re: [permaculture] Bees and wasps, Rich Blaha, 05/12/2007