permaculture - Re: [permaculture] does squishing aphids attract aphid predators

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "paul wheaton" <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] does squishing aphids attract aphid predators
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 13:37:11 -0700

This tree has been cared for as almost all trees are cared for. Grass
growing right up to the trunk. No water in the summer. Crowded
between other trees in the area. Not properly pruned for many years.

I'm going to care for her this year. 90% of the grass under her is
either under organic hay, or some tree litter I found in a pile on the
property and moved under her dripline. I'll be planting alfalfa,
buckwheat, "good bug blend", garlic chives, and maybe some lettuce
under her. I've already put down a little lime. I have a little of
the fungi perfecti mycorrhizae I'll put under her soon.

I'm exploring the comfort zones of the property owner about some
pruning of other trees so that a little more light might find it's way
to this tree.

The aphid problem is now low enough that she can cope.

So today, as I'm inspecting her and squishing aphids, I'm just
wondering if anybody has ever heard of aphid squish putting off a
scent that attracts aphid eaters. Seems like it might.