permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tools for poor

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: ibiblio list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tools for poor
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 17:33:34 -0700

Aprovecho Research Center (the folks who developed the rocket stove, and,
not incidentally, the ones who told me the solar cooker story) has done lots
of work bringing their stoves to the non-overdeveloped world--Africa,
Central America primarily. They also show how to make haybox cookers, so
that once the food is hot (rice, beans, stuff that needs to simmer), the
stove can go out, saving yet more wood.

And I can't wait for $6/gallon gasoline either. It's $3.30/gallon in Oregon,
and the gas-guzzler drivers are screaming. Culturally appropriate learning
for developed world people involves hitting them in the pocketbook. The
wallet seems to be directly connected to the brain in a way little else is.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com