permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: cestin <cestin@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:28:06 -0700

Does anyone have any information about permaculture practices in viticulture? I know that many permaculture principles of encouraging biodiversity and soil health make sense. But I'm curious about more extensive applications - are there "guild plantings" that might enhance wine grape quality? Does comfrey have a beneficial effect when planted near grape vines, etc. I'm guessing that Australia might have found a wedding between permaculture and viticulture, more likely than in the U.S. With the movement toward more sustainable agricultural practices in the wine-growing industry, it would make sense to draw on the practices of permaculture. Even though grape-growing tends to be a mono-culture crop, I would imagine that there would be ways to compensate for that and create a healthier more bio-diverse system in a vineyard.

thanks,

-Chuck