permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cestin@earthlink.net
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 11:27:36 -0800

Hey Chuck, how goes the wine making?

Come on down for a visit. We'll go wine tasting in the appellations all around the Central Coast... some excellent to incredible wines!

Permaculture and Viticulture...
Jude Hobbs, Permaculture Designer and Instructor extraordinaire, is also an experienced viticulture consultant. Check out her work at: http://www.cascadiapermaculture.com

Biodynamics and Viticulture...
Alan York and the Fetzer family have managed vineyards in Northern California using Biodynamic methods since the late 80's. York is rumored to be writing the book "Biodynamic and organic viticulture/wholistic estate management"

Among others, see Benzigner Winery in Sonoma County, California and Patianna Winery in Mendocino County California.

Very interesting and informative pdf about viticulture, enology and biodynamics...
http://www.benziger.com/pdf/07%20BioD%20PressKit_Replace%20Tribute.pdf.

Speaking of wine tasting..!
Permaculture Design Course in the South of France -September 17th - 30th,
2007
contact <info@earthflow.com>

Larry

Larry Santoyo, Director
EarthFlow Design Works
San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles
805.459.0452
http://www.earthflow.com/consulting.html

There is some evidence that the Chumash Indians near Santa Barbara California, encouraged roses in association with grape vines. The first Spanish invaders were astounded to see large acreage of grapes and roses. The roses looked like the Rose of Castille that grew in Spain. Somewhere I read an article that roses are grown in Greece with grape vines, but maybe somebody has a better reference on that one. I seem to remember that there was research that they inhibited White fly.