permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Plant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Plant
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:32:00 -0500

Paul Cereghino wrote:

be forewarned, raccoons like water hyacinth too... but some might consider raccoons a yield of you pond as well ;) I haven't tried it

They can be dangerous if encountered and cornered unexpectedly. They are
prime candidates for rabies and
then are very aggressive as are foxes. I am somewhat isolated, almost surrounded by woods and the rabies threat scares the hell out of me. Then I also have to deal with poisonous copperhead snakes and black widow spiders, also ground dwelling, swarming, aggressive bumblebees and yellow jackets.

but I just read yesterday that the common speedwell (Veronica americana) is a delicacy to some (Schofield, 1989) and grows like a weed.
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/creeping_speedwell_2/
Creeping Speedwell (P) — Veronica filiformis — Family: Scrophulariaceae
(Figwort)
Look alikes are:
# Corn Speedwell (Veronica arvensis)
# Germander Speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys)
# Ground Ivy (Glechoma hederacea)
# Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule)

Looks nice; I'd welcome that plant friend as I do most with the notable
exception of Bermuda grass and poison ivy,
and sometimes bamboo. I am especially fond of ground ivy, which has such a
nice smell.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm