permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Plant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Patrick McKown <identi1956@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Plant
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:11:37 -0800 (PST)

All these "invasive" pond plants have one thing in common. Continuous sources
of nutrients. They
are a response to this alone.

Turn off the nutrient faucet and whoops they die back. You can accelerate
their reduction also by
introduction of microbial consortium colonizations. There is nothing really
invasive about these
plants, they are involved in resource recovery.

In the mean time the water quality is improved so that higher aquatic
organisms can continue to
survive.

If your water is not a sewer you will not have this problem. Clean up your
act folks. Better house
keeping is all it takes.

Ask where does the 'flush' go, sewers or septic? What lawn cultural tech are
you using? What ag
tech is nearby or up stream. What industry or food processing?
Are their outlets clean?

About 30 years ago I was fishing a stream adjacent to a College for trout and
I came across this
clay tile outlet into the stream as I was casting the opposite shore. Much to
my surprise human
feces were flowing directly out of it into the stream, from the College.

You figure there are enough brains hired there that maybe this kind of thing
might not be
happening? Welcome to the human race.

Pat McKown

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail