permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Plant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Plant
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:04:40 -0800

be forewarned, raccoons like water hyacinth too... but some might consider raccoons a yield of you pond as well ;) I haven't tried it but I just read yesterday that the common speedwell (Veronica americana) is a delicacy to some (Schofield, 1989) and grows like a weed.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Patrick McKown wrote:

All these "invasive" pond plants have one thing in common. Continuous sources
of nutrients. They
are a response to this alone.

My ponds catch runoff from watersheds with a lot of gardenspace; it either
goes into the ponds or
it fertilizes the neighbor's woods. There is enough nutrient in them to keep
duckweed multiplying all winter.
I'd like to purify this water and produce high quality fertilizer from aquatic plants. So far I have duckweed, water lillies, cattails and papyrus; I plan to add hydrilla. If I can overwinter water hyacinth I will add that too.