permaculture - [permaculture] Keeping up with the Colemans

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Keeping up with the Colemans
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:03:41 -0800

On 1/16/07 6:20 PM, "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:

> When is your next book coming out? You've got to keep up with Jeavons,
> Mollison and Eliot Coleman.

I've got about 4 projects cooking. Chelsea Green wants a revised, expanded
version of Gaia's Garden (more photos, more examples, more detail). I'm also
putting together a book on how we evolved from hunter-gatherers to farmers
to industrialists, and how what we need to do is become horticulturalists if
we want to survive on the this planet. In other words, how permaculture, a
horticultural rather than agricultural system, will save the planet and
humanity. It fits right in there with Derrick Jensen, Ishmael, and Joseph
Tainter, but I'm trying to actually provide some solutions rather than just
explain how bad this mess is and how we got here. Then there are two or
three other books I've got notes for, on the myth of competition, and
another on the exotics/natives debate, though it looks like Holmgren might
have that one covered. And one these days I will finish a magnum opus on
patterns in design. But for now I'm working on the GG revision and the
horticulture book. When I'm not eating up time with email!

Toby
Learn permaculture in at a tropical food forest in Belize this February.
Details at http://patternliteracy.com