permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [FWD] Urgent Action Alert: Senate Bill Could Negatively Effect Non Profit Organizations | Grassroots Lobbying & Federal Lobbying Laws

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [FWD] Urgent Action Alert: Senate Bill Could Negatively Effect Non Profit Organizations | Grassroots Lobbying & Federal Lobbying Laws
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:20:07 -0500

Toby Hemenway wrote:

On 1/16/07 2:55 PM, "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:

Hey Toby! ACTIVISM. ACTIVIST. ACTION.
words in the dictionary ........... in use by mainstream America. My

articulate and lovely Grandmother was an ACTIVIST

Hey, Lawrence, activism is great. Speaking of ancestors, my
great-grandmother was the leader of the movement to stop using rare-bird
feathers in women's hats in the late 1800s, a fashion that was exterminating
thousands of endangered birds. It worked. But I hear she was no fun to be

That is fantastic. Three million cheers for her!

around when she got going. And that was my point: the mainstream often finds
activists a little tiresome, so having the word in a magazine title will

What mainstream? What is this mainstream of which you speak? Seriously.
I thought we in this list were "mainstream". Our corporations, politicians and government are so inept, short/no-sighted, biased and corrupt that what I came to know as the mainstream as I grew up (from 1939 in a nation that pulled together during WW2) is not what I see now - actually don't know what you'd call it.
If you mean mainstream pc or sustainable ag or environmentalism then the word
activist has real & positive meaning.
Those who would cross the line and commit violent acts in the name of principles embodied in these movements are or have been isolated and distanced from. I do not include Greenpeace or the splinter organization started by the founder of GP in that category, BTW. We should be prepared to hold the line using our wits and our knowledgebase.

limit its audience. No slur intended on activists themselves; I thought I
made that clear.

I got your meaning.

When is your next book coming out? You've got to keep up with Jeavons,
Mollison and Eliot Coleman.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.