permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [FWD] Urgent Action Alert: Senate Bill Could Negatively Effect Non Profit Organizations | Grassroots Lobbying & Federal Lobbying Laws

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [FWD] Urgent Action Alert: Senate Bill Could Negatively Effect Non Profit Organizations | Grassroots Lobbying & Federal Lobbying Laws
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:37:54 -0800

On 1/16/07 2:55 PM, "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:

> Hey Toby! ACTIVISM. ACTIVIST. ACTION.
> words in the dictionary ........... in use by mainstream America. My
articulate and lovely Grandmother was an ACTIVIST

Hey, Lawrence, activism is great. Speaking of ancestors, my
great-grandmother was the leader of the movement to stop using rare-bird
feathers in women's hats in the late 1800s, a fashion that was exterminating
thousands of endangered birds. It worked. But I hear she was no fun to be
around when she got going. And that was my point: the mainstream often finds
activists a little tiresome, so having the word in a magazine title will
limit its audience. No slur intended on activists themselves; I thought I
made that clear.

Toby
Learn permaculture in at a tropical food forest in Belize this February.
Details at http://patternliteracy.com