permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [FWD] Urgent Action Alert: Senate Bill Could Negatively Effect Non Profit Organizations | Grassroots Lobbying & Federal Lobbying Laws

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [FWD] Urgent Action Alert: Senate Bill Could Negatively Effect Non Profit Organizations | Grassroots Lobbying & Federal Lobbying Laws
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:55:38 -0500

Martin Naylor wrote:

get around this by issuing lobbying from another country, all they are doing
is preparing for ww3 and a fortress state, and nothing will stop them

As early as today the US Senate will consider legislation that would
force , and other similar nonprofit groups, to register with the
federal government every time we engage in “grassroots lobbying.” That
means that if we do anything that might encourage you to contact your
federal representatives about a policy issue, we’ll be subject to
registration and quarterly reporting to Congress. Failure to do so could
lead to fines to CFSA of up to $100,000.

I replied to the source of the article with this:

Doesn't this have a lot to do with our constitutionally-guaranteed right to
freedom
of speech and the right to assemble? Is this something proposed by Homeland
Security,
on behalf of HS by the sponsors of section 220 from Senate Bill 1 or foisted
on the public by some individual or group
of zealot ideologues? If passed would/could they extend this type of
repressive legislation to other organizations,
non-profit or not using a variety of media resources? How about mailing
lists? I started and run a 726 member
permaculture e-forum wherein you find year-round activist alerts,
calls-to-action, announcements and requests for
participation and funding.

Hey Toby! ACTIVISM. ACTIVIST. ACTION.
words in the dictionary ........... in use by mainstream America.

My articulate and lovely Grandmother was an ACTIVIST. She married a Greek
professor at UNC, who taught Thomas Wolfe
and was later the model for the Greek professor in Wolfe's "Look Homeward
Angel". She was truly an ACTIVIST,
for women's rights (I was amazed reading some of her essays), for the
education of and professional careers for women,
and for The South, Southern culture and tradition.

I, for one, really enjoy your feedback, Martin. Hope you are doing well away
off in Oz.

dirtfarmer