permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Municipal Compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Municipal Compost
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:22:49 -0600

Cesca,

Did your soil association give you quantitative data on heavy metal content
in your county compost? Yard debris is usually not contaminated with metals
unless metal containing compounds were applied to plants, such as copper
hydroxide. Yard waste is different than municipal waste and sewage sludge,
which both can contain heavy metals. I am of the opinion that it is best to
utilize locally available organic material for planting, rather than letting
it be wasted in a landfill.

Kevin Topek