permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Municipal Compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Municipal Compost
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:37:21 -0600

Damien,

Municipal compost usually consists of decomposing leaves, grass and ground
up tree & shrub trimmings. There is not much in the way of toxins except
small amounts of residual herbicides and pesticides. Thermophilic and
mesophilic decomposition, composting, degrades most of these compounds. I
have had good experiences composting municipal yard debris and currently
purchase it for use in my landscaping practice. I would use it if it is
locally produced.

Kevin Topek