permaculture - [permaculture] Fw: Zambia information request

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, permaculture@openpermaculture.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fw: Zambia information request
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 06:37:16 -0800 (PST)

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Abram Karl-Gruswitz <Abe@gaiauniversity.org>
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2007 9:38:44 PM
Subject: Re: [permaculturehudsonvalley] Zambia

Hi,

My youngest brother is most likely going with his family to Zambia later
this year as missionaries. As part of the mission, he would be helping
the local community farm. My brother doesn't have a gardening or
farming background other than the family garden we grew up with. I
hooked him up with some introductory permaculture books, but I was
wondering if any of you would know of some resources for him on Zambian
climate, local foods, indigenous edible plants, indigenous gardening
practices, and the like. Are there any Zambian Permaculture courses or
anyone doing Permaculture in Zambia that anyone is aware of? Are there
any Permaculture courses on a respective climate to Zambia? He needs to
learn everything from composting, to planting, to seed saving, to
harvesting. . . everything. Basically, it sounds like he needs to make
himself an expert or authority on something he's new to. He says the
only thing he's heard on the climate of Zambia is that they have patches
of soil which are a mix of clay and sand, and they have heavy rain
seasons and then dry seasons. He also said he heard that the farming
practices of Zambia are very westernized and that the people there spend
so much time farming that they don't have much time for anything else.
I don't know what the time spent farming thing is about, whether it is
inefficiency, difficulty with the climate, or just one person's
perspective coming from another culture. Any help that anyone can give
would be appreciated.

Peace,

Abe Karl-Gruswitz