permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fw: Zambia information request

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fw: Zambia information request
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:42:28 EST

>My youngest brother is most likely going with his family to Zambia later
this year as missionaries. As part of the mission, he would be helping
the local community farm. My brother doesn't have a gardening or
farming background other than the family garden we grew up with. I
hooked him up with some introductory permaculture books, but I was
wondering if any of you would know of some resources for him on Zambian
climate, local foods, indigenous edible plants, indigenous gardening
practices, and the like. Are there any Zambian Permaculture courses or
anyone doing Permaculture in Zambia that anyone is aware of?

Abram-- Here are a couple of interesting web resources on sustainable farming
in Zambia:

http://www.sarpn.org.za/documents/d0001876/index.php

http://carezambia.org/sector.asp?secID=14

Here's what the Nations Encyclopedia has to say about small farming in
Zambia:

"The majority of Zambia's population engages in subsistence farming. The
principal subsistence crops are corn, sorghum, and cassava, while the main
cash
crops are tobacco, corn, sugarcane, peanuts, and cotton."

This tells you it's a lot like North Carolina, only without the winter.
Sunflower seed production is practised, and could be a good supply of oil.
But it
sounds like they mostly have crops that survive in poor soil. So I would look
more into strategies that recycle and compost stray organics. I'd be willing
bet your brother will find washed out soils in need of nutrients.

This kind of dirt makes it hard to scratch out a living. Cotton prices are at
rock bottom. Around here we have white, sandy, powdery soil that people are
growing blueberries and wine grapes in. We haven't found too many field crops
other than soy, cotton, peanuts and tobacco that will flourish here.
Capricious
rains even make corn a big gamble, so you should probably look into Zambia's
distribution of rain over the year.

So the other approach would be gardening in small, intensively prepared
vegetable plots.

I hope this helps. It's just some stuff I got off the web.

Michael