permaculture - Re: [permaculture] dogs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Roxann Phillips" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] dogs
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:40:56 -0600

Because we are on the topic of working dogs, I want to share with y'all
what happened with my great pyr this morning. He is our guardian dog,
protector of all that lives in our little zone 1 & 2, including our
chickens. Well my rooster has become downright bossy lately and has been
attacking me. He has no spurs, so it really doesn't hurt, just is
annoying. This morning I heard Badger, the pyr barking and growling and
running under the house. I had just fed him so I couldn't imagine what
he was after. Well, it wasn't what he was "after", it was what was after
HIM! The rooster had him penned in a corner under the house and Badger
was being very vicious sounding trying to make him quit. But it wasn't
working and the rooster jumped on him time and time again and Badger
finally pinned him to the ground and barked and barked at him. He let
him up, and the rooster went at him again. This time, I grabbed the
rooster and threw him back out with the hens and poor Badger came from
under the house to finish eating his food. He could have very easily
killed that rooster, and I wouldn't have blamed him in the
circumstances, but he just waited for help from me instead. He might
have killed it had I not been there, I don't know. I've seen him chase
down predators with the intent to kill if he caught up to it, so I know
he's no "chicken", lol. But his job is to guard the chickens not kill
them, and I feel good now, knowing how seriously he takes that role.

All of my other dogs and cats have come to me from the Universe's
guidance, Marjory, so your method is not airy-fairy :) But I will always
buy a great pyr from other farmers with working dogs just because I love
that breed so much. They usually aren't papered or registered, just have
proven parents on site. All of my other dogs have also been great dogs,
just not quite so job specific. Your dog who finds your family is likely
to be just as great, too!

Roxann, Kingston AR, zone 6b
http://www.AncientEarthWisdom.com
http://www.OzarkGinseng.com