permaculture - Re: [permaculture] dogs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] dogs
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:28:08 -0600

Marjory, About pure bred or mutts, I have two cousins who are vets who both
tell me that mutts are often the healthiest and sweetest tempered because
of the perils of breeding. Maybe you can look for a mutt mix that includes
the dogs recommended here. But I'm sure you can trust that the dog you are
looking for is also looking for you. Best wishes and do let us know....Kathy

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net

digest. There are so many breeds and decisions.... a rescue or full
blood? Puppy or grown dog? Which breed? Each of you brought forward very
valid points of view. Just from reading and the internet, an Aussie
Sheperd looks like a good match. But there are so many possibilities.

> When faced with such a complex decision I have reverted to a method that
has worked well in the past; let the universe bring the right dog to us.
The kids and I wrote a list of everything we wanted our dog to be and
everything we would offer our dog. We held hands and closed our eyes and
imagined him/her with us as we work and play around the farm. We are going
to start building a good outside home for our dog. I know, I know, a bit
on the airy-fairy side, but it does work.

> In the meantime, we have ordered a book and some videos on farm dogs and
training working dogs. Thank you Genoka for the reference to the book
"The Famers Dog" - from the reviews it looks like exactly what we need.

> I'll keep you posted and let you know which dog comes to us - and the
most fun part when dealing with the unvierse like this is usually the 'how
it got to us' part. The universe is so dang unpredictable.