permaculture - Re: [permaculture] dogs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] dogs
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 14:05:03 -0800

We have an Australian cattle dog/dingo/pit bull/greyhound mix and she is
sheer dynamite at keeping deer away. Cattle dog and heeler types are
generally pretty good at herding and garden defense, and they're a good
family dog too. They like a lot of exercise. Once Bella figured out that I
didn't want deer in the yard, she took it on as her job. Working dogs want
jobs to do. When we lived in the country, Bella would chase deer for hours,
and could outlast them. They stopped coming by once they learned it meant
being chased until they dropped. A good dog is better than a fence, in my
mind.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com