permaculture - Re: [permaculture] dogs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] dogs
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:40:52 -0600

Hi Marjory,

I think I would have to agree that an Australian shepherd or an aussie cross might do the job for you. I have Border Collies, and one just recently figured out that deer come out of the woods. She thinks she is going to fetch them back to me! BUT, Border Collies are so obsessive that they need to be kept up unless being worked. They can and will work anything they can find to the point of heat exhaustion. Guess how I know??? And they will work the neighbors livestock if there aren't any closer. Australians are not quite so obsessive, and are good family dogs, and are smart, too. If you look for one, ask for a calm one. Seems that they are getting bred to be rather high strung these days. Like Toby said, any crossbred dog that has some hunting dog could be a good dog for what you want. I wouldn't get a pure hunting dog...a lot of them tend to take off after something and not remember to come home. They can be pretty obsessive too. As for a dog that stays home, that has to be taught to them. They can't be allowed to just wander all over the place from the time they are puppies. I can give you tips for this in private email if you would like.

Since you have or are planning to have all those animals, you might like a working Border Collie. Mine works sheep, the cows, turkeys and chickens and even put the 400 pound pigs back in their pen when they got out before they met their end. She also chases the wild turkeys out of the garden after wheat is planted! They can be very useful IF you find someone to help you train one, if you don't know how. There are many BC folks around who would help, like me!!!

I also got a Jack Russell terrier to hunt and kill moles. I have caught him chasing a raccoon and an oppossum out of the yard at night. Don't know about deer, but he is an affectionate dog, and fairly smart, and he stays around the house, too.

Hope this gives you some ideas! Good luck, Lisa

PS I tie a dog on the woods side of the corn garden every night, every corn season...that solves the raccoon problem.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>