permaculture - [permaculture] dogs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: <austinperm@yahoogroups.com>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] dogs
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:21:25 -0600

Thank you everyone for your comments on working dogs. We have a lot to
digest. There are so many breeds and decisions.... a rescue or full blood?
Puppy or grown dog? Which breed? Each of you brought forward very valid
points of view. Just from reading and the internet, an Aussie Sheperd looks
like a good match. But there are so many possibilities.

When faced with such a complex decision I have reverted to a method that has
worked well in the past; let the universe bring the right dog to us. The
kids and I wrote a list of everything we wanted our dog to be and everything
we would offer our dog. We held hands and closed our eyes and imagined
him/her with us as we work and play around the farm. We are going to start
building a good outside home for our dog. I know, I know, a bit on the
airy-fairy side, but it does work.

In the meantime, we have ordered a book and some videos on farm dogs and
training working dogs. Thank you Genoka for the reference to the book "The
Famers Dog" - from the reviews it looks like exactly what we need.

I'll keep you posted and let you know which dog comes to us - and the most
fun part when dealing with the unvierse like this is usually the 'how it got
to us' part. The universe is so dang unpredictable.

Cheers,

Marjory