permaculture - Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:03:06 -0800

Hi Richard and all,

The pcplantdb and piw lists still exist as far as I know. I would agree that they'd be a good resource to check out.
Development on that project seems to be stalled at the moment.

I did develop something to test some of my ideas using PHP and MySQL, inspired by del.icio.us, tags, faceted browsing, etc. People can check it out at http://piw.openpermaculture.org it's still a bit rough around the edges, and there is no FAQ/help, but try it out.

The primary data sources are PFAF and USDA Plants. "Words" come from the descriptive text from the PFAF dataset. The primary thing you can do is explore plants with similar attributes, and find out the common attributes within that "set".

For example:
Plants grown as a hedge and propagated by seed:
http://piw.openpermaculture.org/?u=Hedge&b=w+g+u+t&o=r&t=PropagatedBySeed

Plants with edible fruit and high calcium carbonate tolerance:
http://piw.openpermaculture.org/?u=Fruit&o=r&b=t+s+u&t=HighCaCO3Tolerance

Cheers,
Bear

Richard Archer wrote:
I'm still interested in such a project too, and if it's developed
in PHP I'll even be able to help.

Much of the discussion on the pcplantdb mailing list is pertinent
to this project... the outline of what that project was trying
to create is still relevant now.

Are the archives of that list online somewhere?

...R.