permaculture - [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: negiliblek <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] database, wiki, blogs, forums, etc
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:29:55 -0800 (PST)

LL wrote:
>The mainstream media is dominated by corporate interests
>so people must be shown the path to alternate news and information
>resources.
>At one time there was interest in this list in creating an online
>permaculture relational database,
>showing relationships between elements in a permaculture system. I had
>hoped that this would become a global project
>that would offer the opportunity for people to enter data from their
>own bioregion for the benefit of others in that
>part of the world and those elsewhere interested in learning from their
>work. Since that project seems to have
>e-vaporated maybe it is time to start a new online permaculture
>information resource, not using databases but
>wikis, blogs, websites, webforums, distributed systems, linked
>components and similar software tools. Anyone interested
>in participating in the startup of something like this?

Lawrence:

If you're still interested in creating a database, I like the clarity a
relational database brings to complex systems.

If you have a server with mysql, apache, and php to which you are willing to
give me ssl and ftp access, I can guarantee one day a month to:
designing the database layout,
creating the database;
creating tables, indexes, constraints;
and writing simple php pages (non object oriented coding) to both access and
enter data.

While I'm aware that one day a month isn't much, it's what you can be assured
of from me ....and I'd be in it for the long haul.

I'd need a much clearer idea of how you envisioned the database and I'd need
an expert in each field of study to point out the key data point to collect
from people:

-say for a wind turbine generator installation:

windProject table:
( rowID, projectID,projectName, longitude, latitude, windZone,
expectedDaysUseableWind,towerHeight,towerMaterialConstruction,testedVAOutputAvg)

windMeasurement table:
(rowID,projectID,dateMeasured,measuringTowerHeight,timeMeasured,avgWindSpeed
)

windTurbine table:
(rowID,projectID,turbineType,turbineMake,turbineModel,minWindSpeed,minOutput,maxWindSpeed,
maxOutput,turbineWeight,turbineDimensions,turbinePropDimensions)

whatcha think?

negiliblek