permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Don't let people with pathogens - -

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Don't let people with pathogens - -
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:44:52 -0700

Peter wrote:

"It does not heat up so i don't let people with pathogens poop in my
bucket... "

I have not read the Humanure Handbook, but I don't doubt its possible to use
human waste for compost. I am just wondering how, in the light of what just
happened with the whole spinach fiasco (I know that was due to cattle poo,
not humans), how do you ensure there is no pathogen that might be hanging
around? And ensure you don't have any yourself?? I guess I thought that's
what the heat was for - to kill everything off.

I will look forward to reading the book in the future, but does anyone want
to fill me in?

Thank you-
Jody