permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Don't let people with pathogens - -

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Don't let people with pathogens - -
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:14:20 -0500

I read the book years ago and we've been using Jenkins' system ever since, although we've not used the compost yet. We are planning to use our first big batch from the last few years in an orchard. From what I remember, if composted hot, he used it in his veggie gardens after one year and it always tested free of pathogens. Even without aerobic activity to generate heat his humanure compost was clean after two years. This is the method we are opting for.

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future

35 Moose Pond Road
Otisfield, Maine 04270
207-739-2409 Studio
207-890-4099 Cell